Violins, violas and cellos are born or reborn in a frescoed workshop in Sottoripa, in Genoa's historic centre
The most famous
and sought-after luthier of the 19th century was the Genoese Nicolò Bianchi.
His copies of antique musical instruments were in great demand by musicians all
over Europe. A fine connoisseur of classical Italian violin making, he had
among his favourite models a Guarneri del Gesù violin from 1741, similar to the
'Cannone', the mighty violin played by the Genoese genius Niccolò Paganini and
today on display at the Strada Nuova Museum in Palazzo Tursi. Such a high
tradition is still alive today among Ligurian violin makers.
In a splendid
frescoed room on the piano nobile of Casatorre in Via di Sottoripa in Genoa,
the violin maker Pio Montanari has been working for more than 25 years. In his
workshop he builds and restores violins, violas and cellos in full respect of
the highest violin-making tradition, passionately pursuing a constant study of
the various aspects of construction and restoration, from the choice of the
best materials to the ideal varnish to guarantee the best acoustics and power